Welcome to Retail Done Right. These Show Notes accompany our Season 2, Episode 6 podcast, “Goodbye 2021 – Hello 2022.”
It doesn’t seem right to end the year without sharing a recap from our perspective. Plus, though it’s not without reservation, we will share a few predictions for 2022.
We compiled and discussed what we consider to be the biggest events relating to retail of 2021. Let us know if you agree.
- Supply Chain
- The Great Resignation
- Buy Now Pay Later (BNPL)
- Ultra Fast Delivery
- Retailer and DTC IPOs
We then discussed our predictions for 2022.
- The Pandemic…is here to stay
- Supply Chain…improvements are coming
- Social Commerce…will increase but not soar
- Collaborative Commerce & Conscious Commerce…will boom
- Cannabis…not Federal legalization, but progress
- Ultra Fast Delivery services…will consolidate
- Returns…we’ll see tech and restrictions to reduce
- Physical Retail Stores…will expand
RESEARCH AND LINKS
· A record 4.5 million workers quit their jobs in November (paywall)
· What Social Trends Told Us About the American Economy in 2021 (paywall)
· U.S. Job Openings Near Record, Quits Rate Sees First Drop Since May
- Power Plays
- The Economic Impact Of Buy Now, Pay Later In The Us
· Gen Zers relied on buy now, pay later during the holidays. It’s time to pay up.
- A look inside Jokr, the Rapid Grocery Delivery Company
- Instant-Delivery Startups Took Over in 2021 – But Challenges Remain for the Long Haul
· On’s IPO Is A ‘Starting Line’ For The Fastest-Growing Athletic Shoe Brand In U.S.
· 17 retailers have filed for IPOs in 2021. What does that say about the industry?
· ‘The market’s on fire’: What’s behind the flood of DTC IPOs?
- In a big year for retailers going public, here are a few companies that stood out
- The supply-chain crisis could stop you from getting a Christmas tree (and more)
· Four trends that will share retail in 2022
· Four Trends That Will Shape Retail In 2021
- Instant Delivery Startups Test a New Tactic: Slower Delivery
- 7 experiential store concepts that opened this year
- Canada Goose to open its first-ever U.S. ‘snow room’ at South Coast Plaza store
We are going to continue to explore this fascinating and ever-changing industry. Retail is truly fascinating – and deeply woven into our lives – from grocery to the pharmacy to the clothes we wear to how we treat our planet and even to how we treat each other.
We have a lot more exciting topics and conversations and guests to come in 2022. We’re so happy you are joining us on this journey.
Let’s go shopping!
Jeff Fisher & Cristene Gonzalez-Wertz
Connect with Jeff on LinkedIn
Connect with Cristene on LinkedIn
RETAIL DONE RIGHT is produced and hosted by Jeff Fisher & Cristene Gonzalez-Wertz